Coiner of "gobbledygook"?; Palestine (East Texas) joke

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 15 19:20:35 UTC 2007

No one goes to this website, but you might want to look here:
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/gobbledygook_maury_maverick_wwii_term/
O.T.: Does anyone on this list from (east) Texas remember any jokes about
the town called Palestine?
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/where_was_jesus_born_palestine_texas_joke/
 Entry from September 15, 2007
"Where was Jesus born?" (Palestine, Texas joke)

With a city name like Palestine (in East Texas), comparisons and jokes are
inevitable.

Wikipedia: Palestine, Texas <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestine,_Texas>
*Palestine* (pronounced ˈpæl.ɛs.tin) is a city in Anderson County, Texas, in
the United States. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 17,598. It
is the county seat of Anderson County and is situated in East Texas.
Palestine was named for Palestine, Illinois, the home of an early settler.

The largest employer is the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, which
employs more than 3,900. Another 1,600 work at two Wal-Mart distribution
centers. Other significant employers include a thriving medical and
healthcare sector that tends to the large population of retirees. Finally a
distinguishing mark of Palestine is that it is home to the NASA Columbia
Scientific Balloon Facility, which has flown 1700 high-altitude balloons for
universities and research agencies.

The Waverly Star, by Jim
O'Leary<http://www.herald-journal.com/waverlystar/issues/ws060201.html>
June 2, 2001
(...)
A pretty town near Uncertain is called "Palestine" (Pop. 18,042). In East
Texas it is pronounced "Pal-Ah-Steen."
(As in the joke about the Sunday School class which was asked to identify
where Jesus was born. When the preacher couldn't get any of them to come up
with an answer, he said, "Hit was Palesteen!" One of the lads in the class
said, "Shoot, I knew hit had to be some place in East Texas.")

Google Groups: tx.guns<http://groups.google.com/group/tx.guns/browse_thread/thread/f8c036310023b130/bcb652b290eea2f9?lnk=st&q=%22east+texas%22+palestine+%22jesus+born%22&rnum=2&hl=en#bcb652b290eea2f9>