Schnorrer (1897); Falafel, Chumus, Peeta (1949)

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 16 03:46:56 UTC 2007

O.T.: I sent two messages identical recently, one with Gmail (rich
text) and one with AOL. This is being sent with Gmail (plain text).
Please let me know which is more readable.
JEWISH RESOURCES ONLINE
The following seems to be a nice list of the Jewish archives that are
now online:
http://library.stanford.edu/depts/hasrg/jewish/links.html#newspapers
I hadn't been aware of THE AMERICAN JEWESS (1895-1899), but I didn't
find much in it. I was looking for a few food items, such as "latkes."
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=amjewess;cc=amjewess;q1=bread;rgn=full%20text;view=image;seq=00000034;idno=taj1895.0004.004;node=taj1895.0004.004%3A16
January 1897, The American Jewess, "The Russian Jews," pg. 168:
The Russian Jewish _Schnorrer_ is upheld as a sample,...
http://pjn.library.cmu.edu/books/pages.cgi?layout=vol0/part0/copy0&call=CRI_1949_115_008_12161949&file=0030
16 December 1949, The Jewish Criterion, "A Guide for Tourists," pg. 30, col. 2:
The mysteries of Arab cuisine beckon the visitor in Jaffa, Nazareth
and Tiberias--"falafel," most nearly described as an "everything but
the kitchen sink plus red pepper" sandwich; the bland succulence of
"tehina" and "chumus," eaten with hunks of the platter-shaped bread,
"peeta"; the juicy kebab and shashlik.