Inj*n

Sun Sep 16 18:35:28 UTC 2007

Technically, I'm not sure that I totally agree with Larry Horn's parsing,
though I do agree with his conclusion (and am for myself delighted to see
postings on ADS-L such as Larry Uradangs). But see the ADS mission statement, printed
on the ADS web site and inside the cover of AMERICAN SPEECH;

Founded in 1889, the American Dialect Society is dedicated to the study of
the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of
other languages, influencing it or influenced by it.

In my years as editor of AMERICAN SPEECH (and I believe the later editors
have done the same), we interpreted this policy liberally enough to publish
articles on any variety of English, assuming that American English had achieved
such a wide use that it would of necessity influence--and be influenced by--other
languages and other Englishes. There would, of course, be a tendancy for
authors to self-select, submitting articles pertraining exclusively to non-North
American varieties of English to such fine journals as ENGLISH WORLD WIDE; and,
all other things being equal, we tended to assign a somewhat lower priority
to such articles. But my assumption has always been that ADS is a large tent.

It is also the case that the AMERICAN SPEECH mission statement goes on to
indicate that articles of general theoretical interest are welcome in AS, which
would tend to support LH's parsing, at least for submissions to the ADS
journal, if not (technically) the ADS itself.

By the way, INJUN in American English is usually thought of as something of a
derogatory spelling and pronunciation (though I see that NOAD lists it as
merely "offensive").