Mx for intersexed people?

Bradley A. Esparza baesparza at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 17 00:37:24 UTC 2007

Mx = Mexico, at least that is what the internet age has taught me. I eschew
formal address where ever possible, who needs to step into that minefield.

On 9/16/07, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

> At 4:59 PM -0700 9/16/07, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> >I thought Mx. was for use when you don't know if the person is male or
> >female. Wikipedia doesn't provide that. It says:
> >
> >Mx (an ambiguous gender title) See intersex, androgyne or genderqueer
> >(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mx)
> >
> >Have I been using this incorrectly?
>
> Well, x could be the unknown (as on your reading) or Mx could evoke
> 'mixed', 'mix-and-match', or whatever.
>
> LH

Bradley A. Esparza

"You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." Dorothy
Parker, when asked to use the word 'horticulture' in a sentence.