pastures anew: eggcorn?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Sep 17 12:32:43 UTC 2007

Nevertheless, Lynne, you DID know the expression "(fresh woods and) pastures new"--broken free of its original context, having become a sort of high-brow idiom. My students DIDN'T know the expression; they were unable to enjoy that exciting moment of realization: So THAT'S where that expression comes from!

Lynne, teaching literature (as we graying philologists do it, at least) is mainly a matter of getting students to notice carefully what the words of a text ARE, and what those words MEAN (in the widest sense of "meaning") as they form into patterns . . . .

--Charlie