southmore

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 17 12:36:13 UTC 2007

That's funny! Over the course of my life, soufmo(r) [saufmo(r)] has
been the usual BE pronunciation of "sophomore." The obvious
(hyper)correction is "southmore." But I've never heard it. It's always
been either the BE pronunciation or the standard pronunciation. My WAG
is that the BE pronunciation is actually a hypercorrection of sE
"soph'more" [sOfmor]! Therefore, there's no motivation for
"southmore," since the colored "know" that the [f] is really /f/ and
not the outcome of BE /T/ > [f].

-Wilson

On 9/16/07, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      southmore
>
> ... as in "freshman southmore junior senior":
>
> Clubs: Track, Basketball, Freshman/Southmore Choir, Powderpuff
> Football, Intramural Football, & Senior Yearbook Committee, ...
> http://www.myspace.com/ms_informationcentral
>
> You were strong as a freshman on this board, but then you suffered
> from the southmore slump. I was starting to lose hope, but damn son,
> you are right back ...
> http://kcforum.net/forum/viewthread.php?
> goto=lastpost&tid=33209&pid=585273
>
> CLASS STARS: 1125 FR - Freshman
> 1125SO - Southmore
> 1125JR - Junior
> 1125SN - Senior
> http://members.tripod.com/~spearman73/id30.htm
>
> hey, i am abrahan garza, class of 1997, and was in band from 1994 to
> 1997 minus my southmore year when i was the mascot.
> http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?
> fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&entryID=16201569&categoryID=0&...
>
> arnold

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens