"Buda" (TX) origin mystery (Spanish? Hungarian? Something else?)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Sep 17 23:22:08 UTC 2007

        Postal Service Publication 119,
http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub119.pdf, discusses sources of
historical information; apparently name changes were covered in the
Journals and the Postal Bulletin, though I don't know how detailed the
information is (not very, I suspect).  There is a Postal Service
historian, but "the historian's staff cannot respond to requests from
the public for information on Post Offices and former postal employees."
The National Archives may have some information on post office names,
see http://www.archives.gov/research/post-offices/.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Barry Popik
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 2:42 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: "Buda" (TX) origin mystery (Spanish? Hungarian? Something
else?)

Frank Abate asks me about the origin of the placename "Buda" (TX), near
where I rented for a year. I regret to say that I have not solved the
mystery and need some help.
Is there some way to check U.S. Post Office name change applications?
The town in 1881 was named Dupre (TX). In 1887, the post office name was
officially changed to Buda. Would some post office logic be written down
in an official journal somewhere about this application?

Barry Popik
Austin, TX
www.barrypopik.com