jig/gig

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 18 15:57:36 UTC 2007

At 8:15 AM -0700 9/18/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>No. Just showing off. Sorry.
>
>   JL

Am I remembering correctly that the actor Gig Young's first name
(apparently taken, along with his last name, from a character he
played in one of his early movies, "The Gay Sisters", which itself
would no doubt have to change its name) was pronounced with velar
softening?  I tried to get the relevant confirmation on various
sites, including his wikipedia entry at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gig_Young, but without success, although
he does seem to have had an unusually eventful life (usually cast as
the affably alcoholic second lead)--and death.

There are also 653 hits for "gigsaw", I assume all pronounced with
the affricate.

LH