"If you think you can, you can" (Henry Ford? Mary Kay? Anonymous?)

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 18 20:40:57 UTC 2007

Has Fred Shapiro done research on this one? I'm having problems
finding solid early (pre-1985) cites.
Supposedly, Henry Ford said: "If you think you can or can't, you're right."
Supposedly, Mary Kay said: "If you think you can, you can. If you
think you can't, you're right!" This was supposedly quoted in the New
York Times in 1985, but I can't find the quote there.
Is there a good basis for crediting either person? I'd like to use the
Mary Kay on my website.
IF YOU THINK YOU CAN + HENRY FORD--31,600 Google hits
IF YOU THINK YOU CAN + MARY KAY--11,500 Google hits
(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES--I'm having trouble opening tham at the moment)
Fitchburg Sentinel (Newspaper) - November 14, 1945, Fitchburg,...
Subscription - Fitchburg Sentinel - NewspaperArchive - Nov 14, 1945
Fitchburg Sentinel; WEDNESDAY, November R T945 If yon think you can,
you If you think you can't, you can't. Barbara Allen "As a man
thinketh in his heart, ...
Independent, The (Newspaper) - October 3, 1964, Pasadena, California
Subscription - Independent, The - NewspaperArchive - Oct 3, 1964 He
said, "II You Think You Can't, You Can't; hilt If You Think You Can,
You Can. so, start thinking positively." Then He declared that one
should never ...
Argus, The (Newspaper) - July 24, 1965, Fremont, California
Subscription - Argus, The - NewspaperArchive - Jul 24, 1965 He lovod
to talk with young people and lie had one great theme: "If you think
you can, you can. If you believe a thing enough, It can come to pass
In your ...
The Daily Times News (Newspaper) - March 5, 1970, Burlington, North...
Subscription - Daily Times-News, The - NewspaperArchive - Mar 5, 1970
if you think you can you can Jacksonville Looks But Still Crushes
Miami By TED MEIER i Associated Press Sports Writer Joe coach of The
na- tionally ...