southmore

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Sep 20 17:35:14 UTC 2007

I am a distinguisher, but I have the "cot" vowel (as I also do in
"sophistry" and other such words). I have heard the open o
pronunciation but can't say where or from whom.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Matthew Gordon <gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: southmore
>
>Do all of you who distinguish /a/ and 'open o' (cot vs. caught) have the
>former vowel in 'sophomore'? I'd expect some speakers to have 'open o' here
>by analogy to other pre-/f/ words (e.g. off, soft).
>
>-Matt

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself [sic] in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English