Further antedating of "O'Grady Says"; "Kelly says"; "Tony says"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 22 19:26:52 UTC 2007

The full view at Google Books of Ring Lardner's _My Four Weeks in France_ (1918) shows the phrase on p. 119, as used in physical training in the British army.

  The U.S. army also used it in World War I (both the game and the name), also according to Google Books.

  "Kelly says" and "Tony says" appear here and there as synonyms, the former almost as early as "O'Grady."

  JL

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.