Christian Sci Monitor on "Southern drawl"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 24 20:15:40 UTC 2007

That's the word that my late father, "born in the 'Bam,' " as the
colored say, used. He told me, once, "A Jewish fellow helped me lose
my Alabama _brogue_," in discussing his life at the University of
Wisconsin. Howsomever, if Daddy thought that he had lost his brogue,
he was living in a dream.

>From the context, though, it's hard to say whether my father meant
"Alabama [Southern] drawl" or something more like "Alabama [Southern]
dialect." In any case, what he succeeded in losing was, unfortunately,
only his local Alabama lexicon and not the phonology. So, aside from
"brogue," I don't know *any* Alabama isms thhat aaren't general
knowledge.

-Wilson

On 9/24/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Christian Sci Monitor on "Southern drawl"
>
> In this part o' Dixie (it was largly a pro-Union part), the old-timers call it a "brogue."
>
>   JL
>
> Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens