Aikman's Texan English

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 25 14:10:24 UTC 2007

>In what way is this an example of "regional" speech? Do we really
>KNOW that these constructions are regionally and not socially
>distributed? The "what" construction seems to me particularly
>pan-American (and maybe not just US/Canadian).

My comment on regional usage really applied more to that "as/than
what" construction, which as far as I know is not part of
Northeastern or California usage.  I associate it with southern
speech, but I really don't know what the isogloss is.  I have no idea
about the double "had", but I have encountered it before.  There's a
lot of variation in the syntactic expression of counterfactual
conditionals.

LH