Who are you and what have you done with...

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Sep 25 21:28:45 UTC 2007

        It's got to be older than this.  I can remember using it in the
1980s.

        For a nonhumorous use, the Miami Herald (via Westlaw) has from
1/1/1985:  "Through my last seven or eight telephone numbers I've been
periodically called by the same screeching woman who keeps asking for
somebody named Francisco. She grows increasingly accusatory. "Who are
you?" she snarls. "What have you done with Francisco?""

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jeff Prucher
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:55 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Who are you and what have you done with...

--- "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:

> chris waigl found a small flurry of cites in 1997/98, several listing
> the film Ever After (1998) as the source of the quote.  it's
> definitely in that film.
>
> chris and i both suspect that this might be a secondary spread of an
> existing snowclone.

Google Books (apparently) has this from a 1995 "Sweet Valley Twins"
book:
"Deadly Voyage" by Francine Pascal in the form "Who are you, and what
have you done with the real Jessica?"  The snippet part is lacking the
full quote, but searching for "who are you and what have you done"
before 1997 will turn it up and give a little context. This definitely
supports your secondary-spread suspicion.

Jeff Prucher

Editor, Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction
http://www.jeffprucher.com

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/