Spanish Hamburger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Sep 26 17:35:57 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Most of the Sloppy Joes I've eaten had onions and peppers in them.

Sometimes the food research Barry presents seems obvious to me -- like
"Bloody Mary" or "hot dog".  These are lexical terms that are important
enough to merit a listing.

But sometimes, they seem merely a combination of otherwise well-defined
terms that have been combined to make the name of a dish.  If "Spanish
Hamburger" is a combination of hambuger meat (well defined already) and
peppers and onions (to give it a "Spanish" flavor), then the interesting
part of the discussion would be that "Spanish" has a particular
definition/sense involving ingredients meant to allude to
Spanish-speaking lands (Mexico, in this case, I suppose), or at least
presumed to do so (since when are onions a Mexican ingredient?).   The
OED has "Spanish" as an adj, but not a specific food sense.