Finally!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 27 00:49:14 UTC 2007

At 5:35 PM -0700 9/26/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Larry, at no time while collecting 1.3. gazillion cites for HDAS
>over nearly forty years have I encountered anything like those "my
>ass" datives.
>
>   They are SOTAs, SOTAs I tell you.  Or they betray the existence of
>space aliens among us.
>
>   In either case, we must beware!
>
>   JL

Space aliens my ass.  Or theirs.  (One of our students who worked on
the construction found that the occurrence of "X's ass" in some of
the frames cited in the B&K-G paper Arnold cites below was
systematically rejected by his informants, which in turn affected the
conclusions of that paper, but many other examples of the kind Wilson
and I cite below were happily accepted.)

LH