Pronoun [was Finally!]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 27 01:18:36 UTC 2007

At 6:04 PM -0700 9/26/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Am disappointed to see that the authors of that article did not find
>the historical perspective in HDAS of any use or interest.

...and a very rich entry, or set of entries, it is.  I was just
thinking of "Don't let your mouth write a check your ass can't cash",
and that's in there with a couple of hits, under the 'ability and
determination' entry.  Wilson's friend's greeting ("How's your ass?")
makes an appearance too, from 1960 ("usu. considered vulgar"--like
virtually every other entry for _ass_, curiously enough!).

LH