Whiz (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 28 21:26:05 UTC 2007

Somehow, even though I'm from regions where the mule was the equine of
choice, except in the city of Saint Louis, where only horses were
used, I've always heard this expression as "see a man about a
_horse_." So far, I've never heard a woman use either version and,
with luck, I never will. Ugh! :-)

-Wilson

On 9/28/07, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: Whiz (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> A lady (and I use the word in its best sense) I used to work with once
> told me she "had to go see a man about a mule".  It took a while for me
> to figure out that she went to the bathroom.
>

> > What! Wilson surely you go back to "powder my nose" (if not
> > "straighten the seams on my stockings").
> >
> > dInIs
> >
> > >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> > >-----------------------
> > >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > >Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> > >Subject:      Re: Whiz
> > >-------------------------------------------------------------
> > ----------
> > >--------
> > >
> > >I once heard a woman say, "take a dump." It sounded gross.
> > >Fortunately, I've not had the displeasure of hearing a woman
> > use any of
> > >the other forms. That may seem a little prissy, but, once
> > upon a time,
> > >even hearing a woman say, "I have to go to the bathroom,"
> > >grossed me out. The only proper usage for women for me, at one time,
> > >was, "Excuse me."
> > >
> > >-Wilson

> > ----------

> > "take a X";

> > this little

> > *"take a spit"

> > >--
> > >All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
> > complaint to
> > >come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > >-----
> > >                                               -Sam'l Clemens
> > >
> > >------------------------------------------------------------
> > >The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org