In? On? Google

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 29 01:07:27 UTC 2007

My guess (or theory or hypothesis if I want to sound more scholarly) is that
places defined as surfaces take ON and places defined by boundaries on
surfaces take IN:

on Earth, on the Moon, on small islands (Staten Island)

in Rochester, in the US, in large islands (Greenland), continents (Europe,
Australia, Africa)

This mainlander thinks of Hawai`i as a state and so a political entity
rather than a topographic one; similarly e.g. Iceland or Greenland. Do
Hawai`ians say "in" or "on" for Oahu? for the big island (i.e., the island
Hawai`i)?

m a m