snowclone: A by B, C by D

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Sat Sep 29 18:16:37 UTC 2007

Given the examples and a few more I was able to dredge up, the formula might
more exactly be:
        Adj1 by NP1, Adj2 by NP2
My first reaction was to remember a phrase ubiquitous still in today's
South:
        "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God"
I couldn't turn up much history on this phrase. The earliest Google books
example is a line for VS Naipaul's _A Turn in the South_ (Knopf, 1989), p.
292, unconfirmed by snippet view.
In 1988 MCA released a Lynryd Skynyrd tribute album called--a little
misleadingly--"Lynyrd Skynyrd Live," documenting a 1987 tribute tour. The
album, like the tour, was subtitled "Southern by the Grace of God," and
eventually this became the common title for the album as it is listed by
discographies and Amazon, etc. The earliest Lexis Nexis citations of the
whole phrase and the second half, respectively, are reviews of those two
publications. I don't have access to newspaperarchive.com.

Clai Rice