Two other countries separated by a common language

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Sun Sep 30 00:46:59 UTC 2007

Two Americans separated by an oddly differing concept of
how a question should be answered:
   Said I to a Dollar Store clerk the other day:
   "Do you have any clothes line?"
   Her:
   "Yes, do you know where it is?"
   In the pause before she proceeded to tell me,
   I was tempted to say, "If I did, I'd have known
   that you _do_ have it."
(the other) doug
-------------
That reminds of a similar problem I had with a South African. He was
advertising for a job and said he'd rather not pay for someone to fly
there. Evidently he got a number of responses from the US, including me,
as Americans interpret that to mean that he might pay for travel there. BB

Wilson Gray wrote:

> Something like that. The question,
>
> "Can you use one of these?" ["Would you like to have one of these?"] in
American

>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: Two other countries separated by a common language

---