NYT: "blather" from Pa.?

Tue Apr 1 22:12:28 UTC 2008

At least abide and blather could come from Ulster Scots, too, though
the usual form is "blether" there.  However, in Border Scots and in
Ulster in some positions (and in  a lot of 17c-18c Scots), the /E/
vowel would have been phonetically [ae], and might have come in with
the vowel of cat. The Ulster/PA connection is well-documented, though
there's a goodly Yorks/Lancs continent among the Quakers.

Yours,
Paul Johnston