"drive-by shooting"--- query from National Geographic research editor (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Apr 2 14:10:16 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Robin -- I doubt anyone will be able to tell you the "first" use of the
phrase.  The best anyone can do is find early uses, but it is always
possible that an earlier-still use will be found by someone else.  At
any rate, it's fairly easy to antedate 1996.

Regards,
Bill Mullins

>From ProQuest Historical Newspapers:
SHOOTOUTS REPLACING FIST-SWINGING RUMBLES   Los Angeles Times;     MIKE
TERRY;  Aug 28, 1980;   p. B3;
"The mafia-style drive-by shooting was just the latest variation on an
increasingly violent theme."

>From Newsbank:

ANCHORMAN SHOT AT L.A. INTERSECTION
Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA) - October 26, 1983 Page: A03
Author: Associated Press

"Police said they believed Dunphy was the victim of a " drive-by
shooting " Monday night at an intersection near the ABC television
complex in Hollywood. "