yahoo (was: 'Top Words from 2007'...)

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Apr 2 14:18:30 UTC 2008

The two lemmas represent two different words, not the same one.
Any homograph that has an etymology distinct from or unrelated
to that of another homograph, or a different grammatical function, is
treated as a different word/entry in M-W dictionaries (and I suspect
others as well).

Joanne