"drive-by shooting"--- query from National Geographic research editor (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 2 15:37:59 UTC 2008

Billl Mullins writes:

"[I]t is always possible that an earlier-still use will be found by
someone else."

That's absolutely right. "_Mafia-style_ drive-by shooting" just about
guarantees it, in this case, IMO.

-Wilson

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
>  Subject:      Re: "drive-by shooting"--- query from National Geographic
>               research editor (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
>  Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>  Caveats: NONE
>
>  Robin -- I doubt anyone will be able to tell you the "first" use of the
>  phrase.  The best anyone can do is find early uses, but it is always
>  possible that an earlier-still use will be found by someone else.  At
>  any rate, it's fairly easy to antedate 1996.
>
>  Regards,
>  Bill Mullins
>

>  From ProQuest Historical Newspapers:
>  SHOOTOUTS REPLACING FIST-SWINGING RUMBLES   Los Angeles Times;     MIKE
>  TERRY;  Aug 28, 1980;   p. B3;
>  "The mafia-style drive-by shooting was just the latest variation on an
>  increasingly violent theme."
>

>  From Newsbank:
>
>  ANCHORMAN SHOT AT L.A. INTERSECTION
>  Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA) - October 26, 1983 Page: A03
>  Author: Associated Press
>
>  "Police said they believed Dunphy was the victim of a " drive-by
>  shooting " Monday night at an intersection near the ABC television
>  complex in Hollywood. "

-----
 -Sam'l Clemens