yahoo

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 3 18:34:28 UTC 2008

Yes I would prefer the word "bear" to have one entry on m-w.com, and then all the meanings and uses sorted out in the info provided below.  Precludes having to go back and keep selecting different "bears" in the entry box.  This is just my human factors background thinking.

I would think polysemy (many meanings) and homonymy (same spelling different meanings)  the same thing for like spelled words.  No?

I'm not trying to intuit, just interpret the definition.  So boors (surly dissagreeable) are by definition yahoos, and crass people (grossly undiginified) are yahoos as well as stupid people by my interpretation of the definition, yahoo = "boorish, crass, OR stupid)".  PS - I really don't know what a "yahoo" is having never heard the term used as a personal descriptor.  I would think if a person is stupidly boorish or crass, then they could be commiting yahooism (which I hope isn't a philosophy).

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> [...]
>
> At 2:31 AM +0000 4/3/08, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>>Thanks Mike,
>>
>>Being an old geezer with a lot of TV westerns under my belt, I'm not
>>as accepting as thee when I'm told that "yahoo" is pronounced
>>YAY-hoo (yay as in hay) ~yaehue. Never heard that. It's always
>>been YAH-hoo ~yaahue as in the website name or yah-HOO ~yaahhue as
>>an exclamation.
>>
>>Right. There is a second entry that pops up showing "yahoo" as an
>>interjection. So you must cursor down to select it to see the info.
>>Why that's a good idea I don't know. I'd like one word with all the
>>info under it so I don't miss selecting something. I wonder if it's
>>new, because I've been using m-w.com for years. It's a great free
>>resource.
>
> You may have that preference. Most of us would prefer dictionaries
> to distinguish between polysemy and homonymy, and the standard way
> lexicographers do so is by providing several senses within a single
> entry vs. providing two or more distinct entries. (Often, but not
> always, related senses corresponding to different categories (parts
> of speech) will count as distinct lexemes and thus earn separate
> lexical entries.) Would you prefer a single entry for _bear_ 'ursine
> mammal', _bear_ 'carry', and _bear_ 'give birth'?non
>

>>If they use OR then a yahoo as defined might not be stupid. I don't
>>think a yahoo is supposed to be smart. According to that definition
>>(using OR) a smart person that happens to be boorish can be called a
>>yahoo.
>
> That's consistent with my usage. I'm not sure I know what you mean by
> saying that you don't think a yahoo is supposed to be smart. A boor
> can be smart or stupid, and for many speakers would qualify as a
> yahoo either way. When you say "X is not supposed to be mean Y",
> you're substituting your own intuition for the collective usage
> dictionaries attempt to represent.
>

>>Strange word "boorish" ~boorish. It has the sound of "oo" in
>>"foot". Before "r" is rare.
>
> Actually for me (and perhaps others) "boorish" doesn't have the vowel
> of "foot" but the vowel of "poor". In fact, "boorish" rhymes with
> "poorish" for me rather than with (one pronunciation) of "flourish",
> which does contain the vowel of "foot".
>
> LH
>

>>> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:31:02 -0400
>>> From: mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
>>> Subject: Re: yahoo
>>> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

>>>-----------------------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>>> Poster: Michael Covarrubias
>>> Subject: Re: yahoo

>>> OED lists only [ja:hu:] for the N. As I said before -- YAY-hoo is new to
>>> me. But I'm willing to accept that it's out there somewhere regardless
>>> of what I've heard.
>>>>
>>> M-W.com does recognize the interjection. Look carefully after you do the
>>> search. You'll see the following:
>>> yahoo
>>> 2 entries found.
>>> yahoo[1,noun]