British accent stereotypes - 'news'

Scot LaFaive slafaive at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 4 18:52:07 UTC 2008

Speaking of rhyming and British accents, there was a Family Guy
episode where one of the characters is trying to teach a Cockney
speaking child how to speak "proper" British English and he uses the
following rhyme to "correct" her pronunciation.

"The life of the wife is ended by the knife."

Is this just something the writers made up or does anyone know if it
is from elsewhere?

Scot