British? "[make someone's] teeth water"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Apr 4 20:22:07 UTC 2008

At 4/4/2008 01:53 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The speaker made my teeth water with his
>descriptions of the sport in Davis
>Straits,—fishing and shooting that we in Scotland would give our ears for.

I'm going to use this instead of "mouth water"!

I see this in OED2, with four quotations.  Some
interesting instances in Google Books, mainly
British (if one includes Australia and Scotland),
but also a Biblical reference by Charles Chauncy
in his _Seasonable thoughts on the state of
religion in New England_, 1743.  And some from
the 19th and 20th centuries postdating OED2's -1724.

Joel