yahoo

Scot LaFaive slafaive at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 6 02:12:08 UTC 2008

>Everything's in our heads, phonemes and allophones. There are only 40
phonemes for Amenglish, so allophones fit within them.

If you are saying that allophones ARE phonemes, then I think you are
probably the only person who defines allophones as such. I'm not
trying to start a fight here, but it seems you are trying to redefine
accepted terms. Also, allophones are not "in our heads;" by definition
allophones exist in the "real world" the second phonemes are put into
a linguistic environment.

>Something "in your head" isn't much of a definition.

I know. I was just keeping the definition very general since Tom's
definition of a phoneme was so out of the park of what is defined as a
phoneme.

Scot