Error in Truespel dictionary?

Mon Apr 7 01:32:18 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 7:43 PM, sagehen <sagehen at westelcom.com> wrote:

> In "tradspel" the cluster /dsp/ is nearly unspeakable(!); an added
> /i/ would have helped.

Of all the complaints one could make, that's an odd one. My middle name is
Goodspeed (a family name), and I don't recall the /dsp/ cluster ever being
difficult for anyone. Nor, I imagine, would native speakers have much trouble
with more complex clusters like the /ldsp/ of "feldspar" or the /ndspr/ of
"handspring", since they straddle syllable boundaries in the usual fashion.

--Ben Zimmer