Names for brackets (was: Extension of Tourette's)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 7 14:00:07 UTC 2008

At 8:44 AM -0500 4/7/08, Scot LaFaive wrote:
>I concur with Dennis. (Perhaps because we are both in the Midwest? Perhaps.)
>
>Scot

I'm not sure the variation is entirely regional.  I call them curly
brackets because back in the late 60s and early 70s, when they were
the topic of lively theoretical disputes over whether their use (as a
way to collapse inputs to phonological and syntactic rules) should be
banned because (in J. D. McCawley's view) the disjunction represented
an acknowledgment that a significant generalization was being missed,
everyone called them curly brackets.  There were also angled brackets
on the palette back then, for coordinated elements in a rule.  Now
that fewer rules are being written, and the theoretical import of
notational conventions has faded away, the younger generations can
decide what to call {}s on their own...

LH