Barry Popik namecheck

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Apr 7 14:44:14 UTC 2008

Actually Octavius was a nomen (the gens, or family, name) rather than
a prenomen (given name), such as Quintus. Females were
unimaginatively named with the feminine form of the nomen followed by
the genitive of the cognomen (sub-family--and possibly words to
indicate birth order: major, minor, tertia, etc.), though not all
families had a cognomen (e.g., the Antonii). Some people had a fourth
name, often some kind of nickname based on the individual (e.g.,
Creticus for someone who "conquered" Crete). Octavius may have it
roots in the word for 'eight', but if so it is really old. The form
Octavian comes from the fact the he was adopted by Gaius Julius
Caeser and so was subsequently known as Gaius Julius Caeser
Octavianus (though the Gaius here was his own prenomen: Gaius
Octavius Thurinus).  Some adoptees took the full name of their father
(e.g., Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio Nasica, born Publius
Cornelius Scipio Nascia).

Can you tell I have been reading too many mysteries set in the late
Roman republic?

Barbara

Barbara Need
UChicago

P.S. IXX? What century does that represent?