yahoo

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Apr 7 17:36:44 UTC 2008

Paul,

Labov is very much aware of the inglide of the raised and fronted
NCCS /ae/ and notes in several places that that is the main reason no
merger ever arises. The charts showing the pattern, however, do not
make this clear.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: yahoo
>
>Hold it, with man and male.  It is true there are dialects out there
>with [eI] for both--Muddy Waters's AAVE, for instance  (Listen to
>either "I'm a Man" or "Hoochie Coochie Man", both [meI~(n)]).  But
>most dialects with "tensed ash" have an INgliding diphthong starting
>with something in the [e~I~E] range, or maybe, in the South, a
>triphthong made up of an upgliding diphthong plus schwa; male, on the
>other hand, has an UPgliding diphthong.  I can conceive of some
>Southern dialects having [aeI@] for both, with the /l/ of male
>generating a schwa before it (though I think of this as a Northern
>feature)/  There are also dialects with [E] in male (the gel=jail
>merger of the Midlands produces this).  Michael, do you really merge
>the two under one of these realizations?
>
>This is where Labov falls down in his account of the Northern Cities
>Vowel Shift, with his account of raising/tensing of /ae/, and
>"crossover" of /E/.  In NCVS territory, /ae/ is DIPHTHONGIZED, and
>the first element raises, and /E/ centralizes but remains
>monophthongal.  The same sort of crossover happened in the Great
>Vowel Shift in a whole bunch of dialects in England, particularly in
>the far North and far South.  Long /a:/ diphthongized to an ingliding
>diphthong with a raised first element, before /E:/ did anything (it
>eventually raises as a unit to [e:] or [i:]).  No crossover was
>involved, since the vowel nuclei were of different types.
>
>The way I was trained, a diphthong acts like a unit phonemically, but
>has a V1 and a V2 (first and second element) that are not identical.
>If V1=V2, you have a long vowel.  And, yes, I realize that the
>description in  this way is something of an idealization anyway,
>since in real speech, segments shade into each other.   A diphthong
>ending in schwa  (or anything non-high and not likely to be analyzed
>as a glide) is just as much of a diphthong as any other one.
>
>This is a side point.  If the vowel in man=male for you, this is
>probably another case of phonemic neutralization, which different
>schools of phonologists would treat differently.  Generative
>phonologists might well analyze it as you do.  Others might posit
>archiphonemes, which is something like Tom Zurinskas seems to do,
>probably without realizing it.  Others might posit lexical transfer,
>depending on what the surface realization is.  I doubt it is a case
>of total merger, since to my knowledge, no English dialects merge the
>WHOLE CAT class with the whole MATE/BAIT class.  But it's a debatable
>point in phonology anyway.
>

>On Apr 5, 2008, at 11:04 PM, LanDi Liu wrote:

>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> [...]

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English