WOTY candidate: schadenfreude

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 10 23:52:13 UTC 2008

So why wasn't "blondenfreude" the WOTY of 2002
(when I sent it to Jesse)?  And on the front page, too!  :-)

blondenfreude

The New York Times
2002 23 June, 1/1

Blondenfreude, the glee felt when a rich,
powerful, and fair-haired business woman
stumbles, is the guilty pleasure of the age.

[By Allesandra Stanley and Constance L, Hayes,
and about -- you guessed it -- Martha
Stewart.  This is the oldest use (of the 4) I
find in the NYTimes archives, and credited to
Stanley by Maureen Dowd on June 19, 2003.]

Joel