Heard on The Judges: "sucks"

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Apr 11 16:25:31 UTC 2008

Randy,

It's a pretty common construction and has to do with verb-fronting in
some negative sentences:

Not enough of the brothers would have gotten the point.

Wouldn't enough of the brothers have gotten the point.

Not many people could have seen the dog.

Couldn't many people have seen the dog.

And with do-support when there is no auxiliary.

Not many girls came to our party.

Didn't many girls come to our party.

Maybe you;re right. Can't a lot of people use this construction.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       LanDi Liu <strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Heard on The Judges: "sucks"
>
>On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Spoken by thirty-ish, black, male defendant:
>>
>>  "I'm great as a father, but I _suck_ as a boyfriend."
>>
>>  Judge:
>>
>>  "Why is that?"
>

>It's too bad he didn't raise his eyebrows and say "O RLY?"  : )
>
>...but wouldn't enough of the bruthaz have gotten the point.
>

>I can't do that construction.  I'd have to say "...but enough of the bruthaz
>wouldn't have gotten the point."  Interesting.
>
>--
>Randy Alexander
>Jilin City, China

Dennis R. Preston