Standard US English Dialect?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 12 22:56:49 UTC 2008

I don't know what NHK Japanese sounds like, but the Tokyo dialect is
certainly different. E.g., the word usually transliterated "gogo" and
pronounced more-or-less as transliterated, is pronounced approximately
"gong-o" in the Tokyo dialect.

I think that the word means "noon," but it was a while ago, the
1968-69 school year, that I took Japanese. However, the
native-Japanese girlfriend of a roommate confirmed, ca.1987, the
presence of the [N] in the Tokyo-dialect version.

-Wilson

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
>  Subject:      Re: Standard US English Dialect?
>
>  FWIW, NHK Japanese, not Tokyo Japanese is considered the standard.
>  There is a difference. BB
>

>  On Apr 12, 2008, at 10:58 AM, chris bennett wrote:
>
>  >
>  >
>  > Hello,
>  > My girlfriend is Japanese/American and believes standard US dialect
>  > =3D
>  > is that of the middle class of New York City. She believes this
>  > because =
>  > =3D
>  > many of her ESL learning friends have been told this and they
>  > generally =
>  > =3D
>  > seek NYC tutors. She reminded me that Tokyo Japanese is the
>  > standard, =
>  > =3D
>  > which may lend support to her NYC idea.
>  > =20
>  > I've searched online for the answer and have had no luck. =3D
>  > Personally, I was under the impression that midwestern dialects were
>  > =3D
>  > generally accepted as "standard" US English dialect. My grandfather
>  > =3D
>  > worked for the Voice of America and was always impressed by the
>  > foreign =
>  > =3D
>  > broadcasters (Russia's version of the VOA, etc.) who spoke with a =3D
>  > perfect Ohio type dialect. I've also seen Deutsche Welle newscasters
>  > =3D
>  > with the Ohio dialect.
>  > =20
>  > Are you able to shed any light on the matter?
>  > =20
>  > Thanks much,
>  > Christian Bennignus

-----