"Like" abuse redivivus

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Apr 13 14:44:57 UTC 2008

As usual, the reality is worse than one would have thought....

  JL

Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Neal Whitman
Subject: Re: "Like" abuse redivivus

Alex D'Arcy has done some really interesting work on 'like', both the
discourse-marker variety and the 'be like' variety. Her dissertation
(http://www.ling.canterbury.ac.nz/personal/darcy/web%20documents/DArcy%20LIKE%2005%20ab.htm)
shows discourse-marker 'like' steadily expanding its range of syntactic
categories it can attach to, generation by generation. Check the rest of her
CV for other material on 'like'.

An interesting change in the syntax of both 'like' and 'be like' that I've
noticed in my own kids is that they can extract the material following it.
That is, they can say things such as, "I was like, just about to win, is
what I was like,' and "He was like, 'Why'd you do that?' That's what he was
like, Daddy." More on that here:
http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2004/04/ooh-baby-you-know-what-im-like.html

Neal Whitman
Email: nwhitman at ameritech.net