Yahoo!

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Mon Apr 14 04:21:08 UTC 2008

on 4/13/08 10:31 PM, Wilson Gray at hwgray at GMAIL.COM wrote:

> Has anyone else os sufficient maturity noticed the use of the phrase,
> "lucky-strike extra," in a recent Yahoo! commercial. Back in the
> 'Forties and early 'Fifties, Lucky Strike cigarettes sponsored a radio
> and, later, a television show featuring the seven most popular songs
> of the week. When a song out of the top seven was sung or played (Axel
> Stordahl & The Lucky Strike Orchestra!), it was called a "Lucky Strike
> extra."
>
> -Wilson
> --
> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> -----
> -Sam'l Clemens

Was this a later version of the Hit Parade? Lucky Strike sponsored the Hit
Parade in the late 30s & all through the war ("Lucky Strike green has gone
to war!"),  but its format was somewhat different: ten top tunes, for one
thing & I don't remember anything called "extra."  Beats me who led the
orchestra.....could it have been Paul Whiteman?
AM