The hambone redux

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Apr 15 12:41:28 UTC 2008

At least one (white) female student of mine shares with at least one moderately-prominent (white) television actress the name "Elisha."

Both of those individuals pronounce the name with [-i-] as the middle vowel, unlike the [-aI-] pronounciation of the Old Testament prophet's name, which I have always assumed to be standard. However, in recent years, in the Catholic church that my wife belongs to, the [-i-] pronounciation is regularly heard for the prophet's name--perhaps the influence of misapplied Latin?

--Charlie