Standard US English Dialect?

Tue Apr 15 16:14:36 UTC 2008

For /u/-the moon, spoon, boot, hoop, do, too group.  Possibly brewed,
dude, new etc if there's no contrast between /u/ and /Iu~ju/.
For /o/-the coat, road, cone, hope, poke, go, no, grow group.

I'm from much farther north and natively lack fronting of both of
these vowels before underlying (and often vocalized) /l/--in pool,
school, stool; coal, stole, pole, but have some fronting otherwise.
I don't know if MD has back vowels there or not.  If it does,
behavior before /l/ would be a good test of whether you have Midland
fronting or Valley Girl fronting, which is sew kewl, and fronts /u/
before /l/.  There are probably lexically-conditioned phenomena too;
I could conceive of cool having fronting and stool not having it, or
even of cool= "good, in  fashion, etc." having it and cool = "sort of
cold" not having it.

Yours,
Paul