Standard US English Dialect?

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Tue Apr 15 22:33:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> At 12:14 PM -0400 4/15/08, Paul Johnston wrote:
> >For /u/-the moon, spoon, boot, hoop, do, too group.  Possibly brewed,
> >dude, new etc if there's no contrast between /u/ and /Iu~ju/.
> >For /o/-the coat, road, cone, hope, poke, go, no, grow group.

----
I'd imagine you'd include _snow_ in that group -- but not in the
accent of a public radio station announcer in Binghamton NY. He
pronounces _snow_ as if it were spelled _snew_. I don't know where
he's from; he may be a local boy; but I don't think I've ever heard
such a strong _eww_ sound in a word I'd rhyme with _owe_ before.
dh