Heard on The Judges: expansion of "sex-neutral they"

Thu Apr 17 18:48:18 UTC 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 10:40 AM, Larry Horn wrote:

> At 1:26 PM -0400 4/17/08, Wilson Gray wrote:
>> Spoken by Judge David Young, but examples can be heard everywhere:
>>

>> "You know how you can when _a_ male, sexist, inconsiderate _pig_ is
>> lying? _Their_ lips are moving."
>>
>> _A woman_ clearly is getting ready to go out when _they_ start
>> putting
>> _their_ make-up on."
>>
> Right, but "they" for *non-specific* indefinite referents (in
> sex-specified contexts) has in fact been around in informal use for
> quite some time.  I posted my collection of similar cases here a year
> or so back, IIRC.  A real expansion would be a "they" that picks up a
> *specific* indefinite referent--"A woman stood at the sink next to
> mine and started putting on their make-up".   Much more likely:  "A
> woman must have left their make-up kit in the bathroom", where the
> sex of the referent is given but her identity is unknown and
> non-vivid.

and "they" for anaphora to specific referents of known sex has been
reported.  geoff pullum has noted some cases on Language Log.  in

GP, 10/21/04: They are a prophet:
  http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001582.html

the antecedent is "this person" (in a context where the referent must
be male).   and in