Noah Webster's American Spelling Book (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 18 00:59:58 UTC 2008

A lot depends on what "functional illiteracy" is.  But checking my files on USA literacy, I have below.

http://www.educationnews.org/An_Interview_with_Bob_Cleckler.htm
An Interview with Bob Cleckler: About Our Literacy Crisis
Thursday, December 15, 2005
The most extensive study of adult illiteracy ever commissioned by the U.S. government was a five-year, $14 million study involving lengthy interviews of 26,700 adults, statistically balanced for age, sex, ethnicity, and location-whether urban, suburban, or rural-in several states across the U.S. The study proved that more than 92 million people (more than 47% of U.S. adults) cannot read and write well enough to hold an above-poverty-level-wage job. This study also proved that more than 40% of employees in U.S. businesses are functionally illiterate.

The National Reading Panel in 2000 found that about 70% of minority fourth graders were sub-par readers.  The Nellie Mae Education foundation found in 2002 that “About 41% of all adults in New England lack the skills they need to succeed in today's knowledge-based society.”   See http://www.jff.org/pressreleases/nelliemae.html.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.