sources and flying fuck (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Apr 18 20:38:38 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> It is worth reemphasizing that the OED *is* online, though if
> one does not=20 have an institutional affiliation, it is very
> expensive. And of=20 course--unfortunately--RDAS is not
> online (nor complete). A "newbie" cannot=20= be expected
> to=20 necessarily have home access to either of these fine
> tools. (I own what volu= mes=20 of RDAS have been published,
> but they don't travel very well, and I move aro= und=20 a lot).

In my home state of Alabama (which is often presumed to be somewhat
backward), all that is necessary to have online access to the OED is a
library card. See: http://www.avl.lib.al.us/databases/showall.html

 I know a number of other states have similar licensing agreements, but
don't have a list handy.  Check with the reference desk of your local
library