"flying fuck"--something of negligible value

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Apr 18 23:41:25 UTC 2008

At 4/18/2008 07:31 PM, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>I was assuming that the original was the full phrase FF at a (Galloping
>Turkey, Rolling Doughnut,   or some such), from which the phrase FF
>was clipped.
>Alliteration certainly seems like it was a factor, but the
>alternatives that I
>can think of do not seem as semantically apt, either (leaping? bounding?
>jumping?)

It is suggestive that these early examples involve a target moving
quickly through space -- OED flying ppl.a. sense 4.a.  Is "flying"
transferred from the object of the F to the action?  (Given these
early citations, my hypothesis of "flying" as meaning "momentary" --
fast in time -- now seems less probable to me.)

Joel