sounds

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 20 04:04:44 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky
<zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Ron Butters wrote:
> > Never saw this before. It seems at first glance that Kirshenbaum
> > doesn't
> > exploit the keyboard that we already have. For example, I can make
> > [æ], [ü], [3],
> > [ø], [é], [œ], and [∂].
>
> Kirshenbaum's system (like some others) is specifically limited to
> ascii characters, from a time and in a context in which non-ascii
> characters were not generally available.

Weirdly enough, Ron's characters are garbled for me in his mailing,
but clear in Arnold's quote of them.

These are on "the keyboard that we already have" only for certain
values of "we". I don't know what character set has the partial
integral character that I see as the last item (presumably as a
standin for schwa) but doesn't have most of Unicode (where schwa is
hex 0259). I certainly don't know how to generate a partial integral
sign or a schwa on my keyboard; I use Windows character map or one of
various more friendly apps.

--
Mark Mandel