"send s.o. over"

Sun Apr 20 15:08:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It meant "to send to prison."  Partridge cites an 1860 British ex. (unfortunately w/o the
> quotation or page no.) from "Charles Martel _The Detective's Note-Book_ (London:
> Ward and Lock).
[...]
>  I've ordered Martel on ILL.

Google Book Search has it in full view...

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ya0BAAAAQAAJ

But I don't think this is the relevant sense:

-----
"Will you send him over to me?" said the greengrocer.
"Certainly. Perhaps you may do a little business together."
"Not unlikely. Send him over."
(p. 304)
-----

--Ben Zimmer