eggcorn?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 20 17:16:23 UTC 2008

I once went into a convenient[sic; this was back in the day; all such
stores now have changed their signs to read "convenience" store.]
store in Somerville, MA, wherein I was followed about by one of the
clerks. When I told this to a friend, she thereafter referred to the
place as "the _prejudice_ store." Since she was an sE speaker, I'm
fairly certain that it wasn't the phonological environment (alone)
that motivated her pronunciation.

I think that this is the kind of thing that arnold has in mind.

-Wilson

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM>
>  Subject:      Re: eggcorn?
>
>  I look forward to reading why these aren't garden variety ice cream words.
>
>  Herb
>

>  On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Mark Mandel <thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>  > -----------------------
>  > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  > Poster:       Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
>  > Subject:      Re: eggcorn?
>  >
>  > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >
>  > On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky <
>  > zwicky at csli.stanford.edu>
>  > wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > > > i have a Language Log posting in preparation on "prejudice" for
>  > > > "prejudiced" and "bias" for "biased" -- both of which are frequent
>  > > > enough to have made it into Brians.
>  > >
>  >
>  > "Brians"?
>  >
>  > "All we want to do is eat your Brians..."
>  >
>  > --
>  > Mark Mandel

>  > The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org