A instead of ER (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 23 05:05:20 UTC 2008

Back in what were once known as "the fit tiz," "my nigga" was a kind
of joking insult. F'rinstance, arnold might, in response to my comment
on his post, laughingly put his arm around my shoulders and say,
"damn, wilson! you my nigga!" I.e., were everyone else in the field
like you, totally stunned by the most banal of my observations, I
[would] be *rulin* lang wistic! Aw eva the kang a syntak, at lease!

This kind of speech act *has* to be "blackenized." Spoken wholly in
sE, such a comment would be taken as a fairly serious insult or
put-down, containing, as it does, the "magic word." You really have to
know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em, when using the
n-word, though its use may appear to be totally random.

In Los Angeles, where even street BE is far more r-ful than BE in
Saint Louis, hearing other black people say "nigger" [nIgr] used to
make my flesh crawl. That's prolly why NWA (Niggaz Wit Attitude) came
Straight Outta Compton and not from middle-class-black northwest
South-Central Los Angeles.

Time brings about a change, as they say. My old 'hood in northeast
South Central, north of Pico and west of Western, for those who know
the area, then called the "Wilshire District," is now "Koreatown" and
West Los Angeles, which was once so Jewish that it was like New York
City with palm trees, is the new home of the better class of colored
people, the last time that I looked, which was a while ago.

-Wilson

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>  Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
>  Subject:      Re: A instead of ER (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
>  Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>  Caveats: NONE

-----