"my Ghossips cock", 1641?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Apr 23 20:03:23 UTC 2008

Larry, the 1618 (I mistakenly wrote 1614) quotation (or the 1600
"Pistol's cock is up" pun that I didn't mention) I mentioned only to
indicate that the Brome quotation may possibly -- but I don't know --
be an early "penis", one that the OED might want to expose under
"cock".  It would be the second earliest in OED2. (I noticed it only
in passing, trying to suss out the meaning of "gossip" in the
1640s.)  Also, the Brome quotation appears *not* to be polite speech
-- note the "mould Cocklebread" and "clutterdepouch", and their other
quotations in the OED.

Joel